Convert your car into a camper
The GoTent roof tent fits onto all cars, takes seconds to open and features a memory foam mattress which sleeps two.
Fits Onto All Cars
The GoTent fits all cars – no matter the size.
Attaches easily onto a roof rack.
View our fitting page for further details.
Made For Adventuring
Simply park up, pop up the tent and make wild camping, overlanding and boondocking easy.
No more hours spent digging pegs into the ground.
Find out more? Take a tour of Go Tent.
Roof tent – Camping made simple
By Car Roof Tent
With a roof tent, there are no limits to your travels.
What is a roof tent?
A roof tent (also known as RTT – roof top tent) is a hard shell box, which attaches to the rack of a vehicle and allows campers to travel anywhere and to any place where they wish to camp.
To use, unzip and unfurl the structure, roll down the ladder, climb inside and sleep for the night.
Most can accommodate up to two adults and one child.
There are no restrictions where you can camp and travel to, freeing you from being bound to a static camp site and this will allow you to explore camping sites such as mountains, beaches, Scottish lochs, lakes and forests.
Why should I use one?
- You’re well away from the ground and any danger of contact with insects/bugs or dangerous animals becomes minimised, in addition to it providing a 360° view from atop the vehicle, which will alert you to any potential dangers.
- They’re easy and quick to setup. Wave goodbye to the days of hours spent assembling a tent.
- Say for instance, you discover a beautiful location at which you would love to setup camp at, but you’re unable to, due to an inability to locate a safe or convenient space for you to setup at. With one of these, there are no limitations as to where you can camp at. As long as your car can get there, you can camp there. Discover the 10 best locations to take your roof top tent.
- You will free up space inside your car as our products come complete, with bedding and ladders.
- Take your normal, everyday car on your camping adventures, go overlanding and boondocking and save cash by avoiding the need to purchase a campervan.
How They’re Made
Designed in the United Kingdom, all of our structures undergo European Union CE tests, to ensure that they pass strict health and safety standards.
What type of car can I use?
In general, any car or van as long as it has a roof-rack. Some types include Mini’s, a saloon cars, estates or Minivans (MPV).
However, 4×4’s/SUV’s are perfect for the more adventurous campers, as these vehicles can go to places that normal cars can’t. Any type of commercial van can be used, which will provide a camper van feel and will save you tens of thousands of pounds. Click here to read how these compare against campervans: roof tents versus campervans.
Popular cars include:
- Mitsubishi Overlander
- Land Rover Discovery
- Range Rover
- Range Rover Sport
- Land Rover Defender
- Mini Countryman
- Toyota Land Cruiser, Hilux & 4Runner
- Jeep (Grand Cherokee, Compass & all other types)
- VW Passat and many more.
Click here to read more on the The Best Cars and Vans for Roof-Top Tents
Some advantages include the fact that they tend to be very light and do not add a great deal of overall weight, when affixed to the roof of the car, van, suv/4 x 4 or pickup truck.
They’re designed to be streamlined as possible – which means that the structure won’t slow a vehicle down as it travels down the road, something that can’t be said of campervans or Recreation Vehicles (RV’s) – whose boxy structures leads them to affecting their aerodynamics, which then leads to RV’s and campervans being slow on roads and motorways and affects those vehicles’ performance at top speeds.
One of their greatest features is the speed in which they open and close.
It takes seconds to put one of these to work. Compare this with setting up at a campsite, which can take hours, finding a safe and ideal location. Next the actual tent will need to be removed from the vehicle and unpacked.
Then, pegs will need to be dug into the ground and more time will need to be spent into ensuring that the structure is stable and has been property set-up and the sleeping area will need to be furnished with a mattress and a duvet, which will take up further space inside a car.
With a roof tent, you can bid goodbye to having to deal with this hassle. They take seconds to setup up and come complete with a mattress, which will provide enough sleeping space for two adults.